Friday, February 17, 2023

Cube Challenge a la Escher

My M. C. Escher-inspired Cube Challenge project is finished. Back from the quilter, bound and labeled, in plenty of time to meet the Feb. 28 deadline. 

It's too big to photograph on my outdoor wall, so I can only show an indoor shot of the whole thing. The quilt is perfectly square; it's the photo that's askew. 

Alycia  quilted it for me and she did exactly the kind of quilting I asked for. Line work in the Y shapes and an allover paisleys in the background. Perfect!

It definitely meets the criteria for the challenge. The woman in charge of the challenge gave it a big smile and a nod of approval when I showed it at our guild meeting this week. 

When I was piecing it I hadn't decided yet whether it would be for the bed or would hang in our foyer. I gave my husband the choice before I ordered the batting for it. He chose to have it on our bed so I ordered wool batting. I wouldn't have anything else for a bed quilt; wool batting is so drapey and light weight. But I'd use something firmer and less stretchy for a wall quilt. As you can see in the top photo, this quilt works perfectly on our bed, and after the challenge show it'll live there permanently. 

The challenge quilts will be on display in PebbleCreek's Creative Arts Center in March. Two display windows and lots of quilts, so only a portion of mine will be visible. But I can definitely say I met the challenge! 


Link ups: Alycia Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF, My Quilt Infatuation

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE this Jan. The 3-D effect is so cool. I agree on the wool batting. We have the same on our bed and it is wonderful. What do you use for a wall hanging??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for meeting the deadline and completing the challenge. It looks amazing on your bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love illusion quilts..this is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful Jan! I bet you are glad to have it all finished! You definitely met the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of some of Katie Pasquini Masopust's early work when she was making her isometric quilts back. Loved them. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing it on the bed!!! ITs a beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, Jan!! You and Alycia did great teamwork on this quilt. Congratulations on meeting the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jan, I love your quilt design and the colors you chose. Very dramatic . Dar

    ReplyDelete