Monday, May 15, 2023

PCQ Spinner Quilt

For the April PCQ Community Service sew day, we worked on Spinner quilts. I had developed the pattern to use PCQ's stash last year, but we didn't get to it then. You can find the pattern in the Free Charity Quilt Patterns tab above. 

Originally the pattern was for a large throw size, 64 x 80", but this year we're focusing on twin bed size because that's what so many of the charities we support need. So I added light borders all the way around and top and bottom borders to bring the size to 68 x 92", wide enough and long enough for a bedspread. 

The Community Service committee members made kits prior to the April sew day. We had 15 or 16 kits with patterns and strips ready to go. We had an excellent turnout. Members will continue to sew on their Spinner quilts at the May sew day.



You can see my sample folded and pinned to the design wall for reference. I had made it last year but added the borders this year. I also updated the pattern with the border info. 

I had a lot of blocks left over from the top I made last year, so instead of taking a new kit to work on at the sew day, I planned to continue with what I had. When we packed up the kits, I pulled only the number of strips I'd need to finish. 

I was able to get the rest of my blocks sewn, and I put them up on the design wall at home to lay them out. 


Four of the 8" blocks make a large Spinner block, so I sewed them in four patches to make the big blocks. And then I discovered that I had two of the same 8" block in the upper left Spinner block, so I took it apart and fixed it. 

Much better. I went on to finish all the Spinner blocks, then packed them up to assemble into rows at social sewing. Since the blocks are so big, it went very quickly, and I was also able to get the light borders added. At home I added the scrappy borders, and now I have a finished top. 

Members who started their Spinner kits at the April sew day will be able to continue working on them  - or any other unfinished charity quilt - at the May sew day. The May sew day is scheduled for Saturday the 20th, but I won't be able to participate because I have another commitment. 

So now I've made two twin size Spinner tops. One will remain a flimsy to be used as a teaching sample for future kits and sew days. The other will go to the committee members who prep backs and batting, and then someone will long arm the quilt, someone else will bind it, and it will be donated to one of our charities. 

If you would like a PDF version of the Spinner quilt pattern, or any of the other patterns in the Free Charity Quilt Patterns tab above, leave a comment and be sure to include your email address in the actual text of your comment. 


Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts




1 comment: