Monday, May 8, 2023

Scrappy Celebration Blocks

I've made a couple more Scrappy Celebration blocks; now I'm up to 11. Here's the latest in progress: 

Since several of us are making this project together, using our own scraps and stash, we'll have lots of variety in the featured colors and the low volume prints. 

Here are my blocks so far: 


Since this is a group project and consistent sizing of blocks is important, I've been really careful about accuracy when making these blocks. The smallest pieces here are 1" finished. I haven't tackled the block that uses even smaller pieces yet. 

I like all the blocks here except the solid yellow one. Too much yellow! Also too much of the same color. As shown, the block was made exactly per the instructions, but I don't like it. I think I'll take it apart down to the double-four-patch quadrants, and combine two of the quadrants with two low volume squares, similar to the plus block above it. Two new blocks from this one that bugs me, and both will have cute low volume prints.


Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts



8 comments:

  1. 100% agree with you on the yellow one but I’m liking all the others. They clear colors (my words as I’m sure there’s a technical term) and they look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The solid yellow block does stand out in the grouping. Adding in low volumes should really get it to blend in with the overall feel of the other blocks. It will be fun to see how these combine with everyone else's blocks! In terms of making the blocks with smaller pieces and accuracy; I'd be tempted to add 1/4" to each piece and then trim after every step. It will waste more fabric, but you'd be guaranteed a really accurate finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to see the changes you have in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty bright colors. I don't mind that sunny yellow, but it is a bit loud :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your blocks look fantastic, and (though you didn't ask my opinion!) I'd leave the bright yellow one for now and try to throw in two or three more "zingers" like that to sprinkle through the quilt rather than striving for none of the blocks to stand out from the others. I've been doing a little "independent study" lately of the standout quilts from Paducah that have been flooding social media and have been struck by how many of them have just a bit of an unexpected color, a "blip" of something that really grabs your attention, in small doses through the quilt that injects more energy and life into the finished quilt. I am thinking in particular of one deep purple log cabin made with skinny strips, but there are strips of orange mixed in with the purples on several of the blocks. It must have looked bizarre on the maker's design wall with only one block like that and all the other blocks around it are monochromatic purples and eggplants, but the end result with several of them was that it moves your eye around the quilt and elevated the finished quilt in a way that I loved. Curses -- wish I could remember the name of that quilt or the maker!! I saw it in someone's Instagram post, I think. Anyway -- obviously you can totally fire that yellow block from your quilt if you don't like it but my inclination would be to make a few more zingers and try sprinkling them through the quilt before abandoning them. I wish I was making this quilt with you right now; it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just rereading and realizing that you are making this as a group project so you don't have total control over the final block assortment. Now I'm even MORE fascinated -- I'm looking forward to seeing how the quilt comes together for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If those are your scraps and stash, they are just too pretty to fit into that category!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing!!! It is a lot of yellow - but its not a stand out look at me yellow - I bet when you add the rest of the blocks it will blend in perfectly!

    ReplyDelete