Friday, May 19, 2023

Mineral Plus for Hands2Help

Hands2Help is a comfort quilt drive hosted by Sarah Craig of Confessions of a Fabric Addict, which takes place in the spring every year. I've been participating since the early 20-teens. I make a lot of donation quilts now, but this one is specifically for Hands2Help. 

Back in 2019 I pieced a Plus top but I didn't get it quilted in time for Hands2Help that year because of its size and the difficulty of basting it and quilting it on my domestic machine So, it has sat as a UFO ever since. 

2019 Flimsy

I called it Mineral Plus based on the colors in it, as described in the original post.

I recently had the opportunity to quilt and finish it, and it has now been donated to our local Hospice of the Valley. I'm dedicating it to Hands2Help this year, just a few years later than planned. 

The palette was inspired by the greys and golden yellow in this floral print. But overall the quilt reads masculine, and I don't think the inclusion of one small scale floral takes away from that in any way. 

As you can see, it's quilted with an allover meander, the limit of my free motion skills on PCQ's long arm. I even found a suitable stripe for the binding. 

In addition to the Hands2Help designated charities, Sarah encourages donating locally, especially as shipping is so expensive. Since a hospice is one of her designated charities, I'm sure donating locally to Hospice of the Valley is fine. I hope this quilt brings a measure of comfort to someone. 


Link Ups: Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Alycia Quilts




3 comments:

  1. That's such a great quilt! I agree with you about the masculine feel of the quilt but I'm pretty sure it would be hard to find a man who doesn't enjoy a few flowers every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt, and I'm sure it will bring someone a lot of comfort. Sometimes quilts just have to wait their turn until the perfect opportunity comes along. I bet that's what happened here. Great finish and a nice donation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful colorway -- soothing but with interest!

    ReplyDelete