Friday, December 8, 2023

Pillow Covers

 My son requested replacement covers for his sofa pillows. The sofa is sturdy microfiber faux suede in grey, but the pillows that came with it are awful. One is an ugly brown plaid and the other is a loosely woven tan that frayed so much at the seams that it's falling apart. 

I showed him a selection of fabrics from my stash, and he picked out the ones he liked and didn't like. Now his new pillow covers are finished, giftwrapped, sent, and delivered. Here's how they turned out: 

The center striped fabric is his first choice but I only had a scant quarter yard of it, so I had to add to it to bring the center square up to 10". The gold goes with the accent color in a quilt that lives on his sofa. 

There was enough of his preferred fabric to also create star points, so this version is the reverse colorway of the first one. The backs of both are the black print, also one of his preferred fabrics, and the light swirly background print is also one of his choices. 

He'll use the inserts from the original pillows inside these covers. They're big, 22" square which is pretty large for sofa pillows, but I had him measure carefully and he sent me a photo of the pillow with a ruler next to it to confirm the size. 

He knows he's getting new pillow covers but he doesn't know what they look like (he doesn't read my blog). I hope he likes them!

What he doesn't know is that I also made him new potholders, using the leftover fabrics from the pillows. One has the grey stripe on the front and the other has a different fabric. Both have the black print on the back and gold binding. His original potholders from when he moved into his condo three years ago are probably pretty decrepit by now, so I thought he might need new ones. I forgot to take photos of them before sending them out. 


Link ups: Alycia Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict

4 comments:

  1. Very nice pillow covers. Your a very nice mom, I hope he appreicates that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to know that your son doesn't know what these look like yet. And the matching potholders sounds great (and handy), too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are perfect! He will love them.

    ReplyDelete