Sunday, December 31, 2023

December Stash Report and Goals Update

Since one of my goals was to end the year with less in my fabric stash than I started with, 2023 was a very good year. So when opportunities arose to enhance my stash a bit, I felt no qualms about acquiring more fabric. I selected from the estate sale of a late PCQuilter who was known for her color sense, and I ordered some solids to fill some color gaps in my stash.

December Stash Report: 

IN this month: 32 yards (Approximately 22 yards from Kathleen's estate sale.  KQ order, solids, 10 yards.)
OUT this month: 1-3/4 yards (My fabric added to floral adopt-a-quilt, 1-1/4 yards. Binding for Gary's patio quilt, 1/2 yard.)

IN YTD: 90-1/2 yards
OUT YTD: 119 yards

2023 Net Change: 28-1/2 yards OUT

In 2024 I can acquire new fabrics that I need without guilt. My stash has diminished to the point that I need to supplement what I have in order to create cohesive palettes. So when I pull fabrics for a new project and I need something to make it work, I'm okay with purchasing what I need. 

That said, much of the quilt making I do these days is donation quilts for the charities PCQ supports, so I can use the club's stash for those. Usually I end up using a combination of the club's stash and my own, as was the case with the Blue Daisy Four Patch Variation that was finished this month and has been delivered to Natalie's House for a young girl. 


There were some gift-giving deadlines I had to meet this month, and I'm glad to say I got everything finished and sent out in time. I had trouble coming up with Christmas gift ideas for my husband until he mentioned that it was just a little too chilly to sit out on the patio in the sun. Ah-ha, he needs a patio quilt and I could use the leftover made-fabric from the patio pillows. Mission accomplished.


Goals Update: 

December Recap: 

1. Finish the Kaffe Gradient top. Progress, but not finished. 

2. Work on Road Trip. Significant work, lots of unsewing and reassembling blocks to revise the layout.

3. Prep backing for Batik Stacked Slabs. Changed from Stacked Slabs to backing for Gary's Patio Quilt; bought flannel and got backing prepped. 

4. Draft Edna's pattern for PCQ per her request. Drafted in EQ and reviewed several layout options with her. Instructions not written yet.

5. Work on an Adopt-a Quilt charity quilt. Pieced a top and turned it in for someone else to finish. 

6. Work on a UFO or kitted project. Done. Quilted and bound the leftover made-fabric panel from patio pillows for Gary's patio quilt for Christmas.

Also finished and sent out the pillow covers requested by my son. 

January Goals:

1. Prep for and teach first two sessions of Color Class.

2. Finish the Kaffe Gradient top.

3. Continue working on Road Trip.

4. Work with Edna to draft her pattern. Make test sample. 

5. Work on a UFO or an Adopt-a-Quilt.

Edna's Easy Scrappy Stars

That's an ambitious list for January, considering that prepping for and teaching classes takes a lot of time and thought. We'll see how much of my list I can get done. 

Since it's the new year I should mention 2024 annual goals and plans. Basically they're the same as last year:

 - Finish what I'm currently working on, Road Trip, Kaffe Gradient and Edna's pattern.   
 - Continue participating in PCQ's Community Service committee.
 - Go to retreat a couple of times.
 - Finish a UFO. 
 - Plan and start a complicated long term project. 

 - In 2024 I'll be more sporadic about blogging, posting occasionally but not pressuring myself to post every week. 

 - For the first time in more than 10 years I'm not going to care about finishing the year with more stash out than I bring in. If I need to buy fabric for a project, so be it. And when estate sales happen,  opportunities to enhance my stash at reduced prices, I'll add what I want.

 - I'm teaching my 6-lesson color class again starting in January, and even though I taught it before there's still a lot of prep required which takes a lot of time. 

In general I plan to be more relaxed and casual about quilting and blogging in 2024. 


Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reducing your stash so much, Jan. It sounds like you are at a good place where you can have a lot of fun and enjoy the process. I hope that the second time around teaching the color class goes smoothly and I wish you the best in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all the end of year progress and yeah for all the years of stash management paying off. Enjoy your stitching time in 2024 and your relaxed approach to blogging.

    ReplyDelete