Monday, November 11, 2013

Design Wall Monday: A little D9P top

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I wanted to make a D9P.  I've seen them all over the web and they look like fun.

But I had tried making a D9P a few years ago, and it was a big disappointment.  I didn't have enough value contrast between the fabrics I chose, and everything just blended together in a blur.  So I ended up using the parts for something else, this one, which ended up being a baby quilt for a coworker.  I had to add the white sashing to give it some contrast. It turned out ok, and it was appreciated by the recipient who didn't know the story behind it.
Baby quilt started as D9P
 

 
So now I want to try the D9P technique again but I'll use these blocks, which have more contrast.
9-Patch blocks for D9P
 
I was able to get the top done, and here it is on my design wall:
D9P top
 



Cute print. The contrast is much more noticeable here.
Featured Print: Scoot by Deena Rutter for Riley Blake Designs
 
The finished size will be about 35" square. I don't have an immediate purpose for this quilt, but I'll use it to practice free-motion quilting and have it for a donation the next time I need one.
 
What a difference fabric and color choices can make!  I've been quilting a long time and still, every quilt is a learning experience for me.  Hmmm...What if I use a really dark fabric where those windmills are, and pale low volume prints everywhere else?  I may have to try another experiment in value placement.
 
Linking up today with Judy at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday; check out everyone's inspiring projects over there.

1 comment:

  1. Great fabric choices. It really makes the design stand out. I have seen a lot of disappearing 9 patches and this one makes me want to try one too!

    ReplyDelete