Friday, May 26, 2017

Finished Alaska Quilt

The quilt my SIL is planning to give to her friend in Alaska is finally finished. She gave me the info she wanted on the label - it's a wedding gift - so I could print out the label and bind the quilt.

I had enough of that green tribal print left and my SIL really liked it, so that's what I used for the binding. This quilt has high-loft poly batting, which I don't usually use, but that's what they wanted. It really gives the quilting a lot of depth and adds a lot of texture.

My SIL and a group from her church do missionary service in Alaska every summer. Among other services they do, they take Vacation Bible School to a remote native village. The logistics involved in this endeavor are amazing. They've been going to the same village for more than 20 years.

After their stay in their usual village, my SIL will travel to another even more remote village in Northern Alaska for her friend's wedding. She has watched this friend grow up since the age of 3, go to college in the Lower 48, and establish a home of her own. SIL thinks of her friend like a niece, and she wanted to give her a quilt, and I'm happy to oblige.


Linking up with Whoop Whoop Friday at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Friday Finish at Crazy Mom Quilts

7 comments:

  1. How noble of your sil and of you! Beautiful work as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very high loft batting, indeed. I bet that the quilt is very snuggly from it, though, and will be a treasured wedding gift. Congratulations on having it done in plenty of time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. visiting from crazy mum quilts. How fantastic that it is a quilt you have made for Charity. I am sure your SIL will enjoy giving it to someone. I too posted this week about a charity quilt I made for an orphanage in Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  5. The high loft will probably be cherished a lot in Alaska :) Very kind of you to sew this wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete