Friday, August 18, 2017

Marty's Quilt

A couple weeks ago I started a quilt for my brother who's going through some health issues and is stuck in a rehab center until after Labor Day.

Using the Block Mama method and the Four Corners block from my book Cut and Shuffle Quilts, I made nearly 30 blocks. The palette of russet, tan, dark blue and light grey is nice and masculine, and all the fabrics came from my stash.

The palette needed brightening so I added light orange to the mix, inspired by the backing fabric. Here are some of the blocks on my design wall before I finalized the layout.

After making a few more blocks I ended up with a 5 x 7 block layout, 60" x 84". Then Murphy helped me pin-baste the layers together.

I quilted a simple allover meander, about the extent of my FMQ skills. The quilting was accomplished within one day and the quilt remained soft and drapey. I used Aurifil 50 wt, in a medium grey #2610.

I finished it off with machine binding in the darkest brown, with a label tucked into the binding seam. Now Marty's quilt is not only finished, it 's already on its way to him in Arizona.

The fabrics are all from stash except for the backing, which was purchased with Marty and this quilt in mind.

Some quilts look better in real life than they do in photos, and this is one of them. All the prints have a lot of texture or small scale pattern going on, but you can't really see the some of the prints in the whole quilt photo. Here you can see the texture created by the quilting.

In the photo below you can see some of the small scale prints. The light orange is Grunge. This blue print is the largest, boldest print in the whole quilt. The two russets were purchased several years ago in Texas when DH wanted me to make him a cowboy quilt. 

So Marty's quilt is on its way to him, in care of his daughter who will take it to him in the rehab center. It should arrive next week. I hope he likes it.

This is by far the fastest I've ever made a quilt from start to finish. I don't remember what day I started working on it, but it was definitely after the first of August. He doesn't need a quilt in Arizona in August, but he can sure use a quilty hug, so this one's on its way to him.

Linking up with Whoop Whoop Friday at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

8 comments:

  1. Oh I think it looks awesome!! That first photo of the blocks almost looks 3D - it will give him a great big hug from yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What comfort it will bring! And you can tell him the pup helped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely quilt! I'm sure your brother will love it. There's nothing quite like a quilt to speed one's recovery! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure that getting to see his daughter and receiving the quilt from you will go a long way to lifting his spirits. What a lovely hug to make so quickly for him. I hope he gets a lot of use and comfort from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely! I really like the backing. Arizona or not, I'm sure he has air-conditioning, and there is nothing like snuggling up in a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this quilt. I have no doubt he will too! Celebrating a wonderful finish with you! Finishes have been few and far between for me lately so I have to enjoy other's creations for now. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for fast finishes. This is a great quilt. I really like how the orange pops in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete