This is my planned layout. I've used this kind of sashing before for blocks that don't all match and I like how it unifies them.
I had nothing in my stash that would work for the dark stripes in the sashing. The light center strip will be the same pale green that's used for the background in most of the blocks.
Since I already have three different dark purples in the blocks, I thought it would be better to use a green for the sashing. I took all the blocks to the fabric store and auditioned several greens. I thought I found a good one.
Greens, especially olive greens, are tricky. The store has natural daylight and fluorescent light, and I thought the color looked okay. Then I got it home and had second thoughts.
In the first photo below, the lighting is natural daylight plus my Ott Light which simulates natural daylight. The color looks okay.
In this photo below, the lighting is from overhead incandescent light. Much warmer. All the colors look a bit warmer, even the purples, but the olive flares so much it looks almost brownish.
Yuck. I really don't like this fabric for the sashing after all.
I should have known; olives are notorious for color inconstancy, i.e. flare. I should have remembered this from my working days and checked it out before buying anything.
Maybe I can find something else that will coordinate with these blocks. I'll have to keep looking. And I'll have to find another use for the 2-1/2 yards of this olive I bought, since I bought enough for the sashing and the binding.
Linking up with Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts