Friday, June 14, 2019

Flying Geese

The skill for the STLMQG Color Spoke BOM for this month is Flying Geese. I love Flying Geese; they're one of my favorite design elements. I use the four-at-a-time no-waste method whenever possible. I made this Flying Geese quilt a few years ago:
Seasonal Migration, 78" x 90"

My "spoke" of the color wheel is yellow-green. I made some large - 3" x 6" - geese and some smaller ones. Here are the large ones:

With some of the large ones, I made a 12" block. I think it's called Dutchman's Puzzle.

I'll save the rest of the large geese units and use them as filler bits when I lay out the final arrangement.

The small geese are 1-1/2" by 3".

These made 6" Ohio Star blocks, which I can scatter or use as fillers in the final layout. In some of these the contrast is a little more subtle, because I'm sure there will need to be quieter places for the eye to rest in the final layout.

I'm planning for this to be a puzzle quilt a la Gypsy Wife. Have you seen the one made by Martha Bush with black and white stripes for the background? Preeti showed it here in a post about the Quilters Unlimited show (scroll down). Inspiring! I love it! I may have to try black and white stripes in my Color Spoke BOM quilt when the time comes.



Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict

2 comments:

  1. I saw that B/W GW and thought it stunning. That would make an interesting background for all your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart to plan ahead for restful blocks!

    ReplyDelete