Monday, June 10, 2019

The Black and White Project: Not Enough Background Fabric

I've finished sewing all the blocks for the black and white project and here they are laid out on my wall.

Although the seams between the blocks aren't sewn yet, you can see how the different values make pathways that cross. Follow the white paths, and they cross in the center. Follow the light paths, and they cross in the upper half. Follow the dark paths, and they cross in the lower half. I like to keep the darkest part of an unbalanced quilt toward the bottom because darks then to look weightier, and I don't want the layout to look top-heavy. The black path forms a ribbon around the center.

I have a big problem. As originally designed, all the areas in the photo above where the wall is showing should be background fabric. I don't have enough and I can't get more. (It's from maybe 8 or more years ago.)

The obvious solution would be to square up the top and finish it like this. It would finish at just over 40" per side, and just barely make the requirements for Curated Quilts.

I do have a little bit of the fabric left, and I'm hoping that I can use what I have plus off-cuts from some of the blocks to finish it out like this. It would go just to the white points without cutting them off.

Wish me luck!


Link ups:
Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Em's Scrapbag
Love Laugh Quilt

4 comments:

  1. This quilt is playing with my mind! It's such an interesting design and one that makes me stare at it for a long time! That's a good thing!! Sorry to hear about the background shortage. I've had that happen before and it's always very frustrating. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you really want it bigger could you add a darker shade to the edges for a 'design choice'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since the four corners are symmetric, I like Vicki's idea of filling them in with a slightly darker shade. Or if you rotated the piece slightly, maybe it would be interesting on point with setting triangles? I guess you could also use setting triangles as-is, but they wouldn't be 45 degrees in the two corners. However, that would maintain the current cool angle layout.

    ReplyDelete