Monday, June 3, 2019

The Black and White Project: Crossings

I started chasing this squirrel a couple weeks ago and it has totally taken over! I heard about the two color challenge at Color Girl Quilts, and if you use black and white as your two colors, it could be considered for an issue of Curated Quilts.

I knew immediately that I would use a pattern that features crossings, places where it looks like a pathway of one fabric intersects with another. Here's what the crossings look like:




Those aren't blocks in the photos above; they're where four blocks come together, offset by a third, with a filler patch. One actual block looks like this, a Flowering Snowball variation:

Each block is unique, very challenging, and requires attention to which fabric is placed where. My seam ripper is getting a workout! 

So far I have  about half of the blocks done. Here's what they look like on my design wall; this is roughly the bottom half of the quilt. 

The background print that reads medium grey is leftover wide backing from another quilt. Due to a cutting error, I don't have enough of it to finish this quilt as originally planned, so I'm going to have to figure out something. There may be lots of tiny pieces and seams in the outer sections of the background. Hopefully the print is so busy and choppy it'll hardly be noticeable. 


Link ups: 

No comments:

Post a Comment