Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Hand Stitching

You know I've complained before about how hand sewing hurts my arthritic hands, especially the joint at the base of my left thumb from the pinching or gripping action. Well, this month has been a big one for hand sewing.

I've been really pushing to make progress on my WIGSP. Last month and so far this month I've completed one long seam and 1/3 of another. The rest of the last seam, then the bottom border, and the top will be done. Here's the most recent photo, from July. Since then, one of those seams and part of the other are done.

I'm still a member of CSQ Piecing Group, the hand-piecing bee that helped make components for the quilt above. This month was Joy's turn to hand out. She's a bit of a free spirit. She gave us kits with drapery fabric. Here's my finished block for her. Pretty, but tough to sew by hand.

CSQ is presenting a quilt show in October, and I have two quilts entered, Pickle Dish and Goodnight Darleen. They both needed sleeves added. I had enough leftover background print from Pickle Dish that I decided to use it for the sleeve. I'm unavailable on the day we're supposed to turn in our quilts so I'll have to give them to the show coordinator early.

Last but not least, there was a bit of hand sewing involved in assembling this award ribbon. It, too, will have to be given to the coordinator early. Lots of deadlines involving hand sewing this month!

Even though my hands are kind of achy, I'm hoping to get the rest of the last long seam in my WIGSP done so I can take the top to the next Piecing Group meeting and show everyone what they've helped me with over the last 11 years or so. It's about time, after all.

The girls in Piecing Group are all CSQ members and they'll have quilts in our show in October as well. Here's the show info if you're in the St. Louis area and you're interested. 

The Quintessential Quilt 2019 Quilt Show
Presented by Circle in the Square Quilters
Sept. 30 - Oct. 31, 2019
University City Public Library
6701 Delmar Blvd.
University City MO 63130
Open during regular library hours; free



2 comments:

  1. So glad you are entering Pickle Dish in the quilt show! It will surely win a blue ribbon! The handmade award ribbons are so unique! What a great idea! Try some emu oil on your hands. I have heard it works but have not tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your checkerboards and dresdens quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete