Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Bee Blocks

STLMQG hasn't been meeting these last couple of months, but the girls in Sew Bee It are still on schedule with bee blocks via email. When we do get together, I'll have blocks for several of the members. This month Krista asked for Granny Square blocks and sent a link to the tutorial she wants us to use.

I actually had never made Granny Squares blocks before, but these were fun to make.

She asked for two blocks, and making a pair like this enabled me to chain piece them so they went together quickly. The tutorial gives instructions for trimming the blocks, but I have found with bee blocks it's better to let the owner do her own trimming so she consistently gets the size she wants.

She asked for scrappy, no particular color scheme, so I raided my scraps and put together a warm combo and a cool combo.


I enjoyed pulling the fabrics and making these blocks. Maybe I'll have to make a scrappy Granny Squares quilt myself someday.

When the Sew Bee Its worked out the schedule for handing out this year, I told them I'd continue to make blocks and be part of the bee for as long as I was still in St. Louis, but I didn't sign up for a month to hand out. At that time, we thought we would go to AZ in April to find a house in the area we want to move to.  Since our moving plans are on hold, probably until next year, I'll continue to be part of the bee and sign up for a turn to hand out later in the year. I miss getting together with the girls and I'll be glad when this is all over and it's safe to get together again.


Linking up with Quilt Fabrication

4 comments:

  1. Those blocks are SEW cute! Thanks for the tutorial link. The last time I tried making a Granny Square things didn't go very well. I'll try, again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a classic block! It's fun to see it in more modern fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often wondered about the Granny Square block. I love it but wonder how it is connected to other blocks. Are there Y seams?

    ReplyDelete