Monday, September 7, 2020

A Quilter's Estate

Recently, some random guy contacted one of the members of our guild. His mother, a quilter, had passed away and he didn't know what to do with her fabric. Long story short, my guild friend took everything with the goal of passing it along to guild members and giving anything left over to Charity Sharity, a local organization that takes fabric and craft donations. 

"Everything" turned out to be a garage-length wall of boxes stacked chest high. It took several trips for her to get everything in her car and to her basement. 

She contacted the members of the guild and scheduled one-on-one appointments to come and shop the stash. (Masks required, social distance, and come in through the basement door.) My turn came after others had already selected what they wanted, and there was still an overwhelming amount of fabric. 

There was almost every kind of quilting fabric you could imagine, solids, traditional prints, a few modern prints, lots of blenders including Grunge, Hawaiian-shirt prints, and lots of novelties. This lady had wide-ranging taste. Apparently she also left some UFOs which some of the other members had taken to finish. The patriotic prints and most of the reds and blues went to the guild member who heads up a QOV group. 

I spent an hour selecting what I wanted, and came away with a paper grocery sack crammed full and overflowing. My friend chided me for not taking enough. 

Once home, I immediately washed it all. Two loads, darks and lights, with color catchers just for good measure. Here's my haul, fresh out of the dryer: 


I was particularly pleased to find a bundle of fat eighths of amber and gold prints, maybe part of a kit? I have an immediate plan for them. There were some nice black and white prints, good stash additions. And several 2, 3, and 4 yard cuts that will make great backings. 

The pile, from the other direction. This is the view from standing at my ironing board. 

It took me over four hours to get all that fabric ironed and put away. I'm ballparking that there was about 30 yards there. I was complaining recently that I'm bored with quilting from my stash; well now I have no reason to be bored, I have lots of new-to-me goodies to play with. 

This is not the first time my guild has had to help with a deceased quilter's estate. Do your family members know what you want done with your stash when the time comes? 


15 comments:

  1. Enjoy your acquisitions! My husband says that I may not die before he does because he wouldn't know what to do with the fabric. And in reality, I should provide specifics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point! I have notes made but they need to go with our estate planning papers so the kids can find them. Same thought process goes for our finished quilts, our sewing machines, etc. You did find some lovelies to enhance your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's wonderful that the woman's son was able to reach out to your guild. I look forward to seeing what you do with the amber and gold prints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband knows to call my guild member friends if I go before him. I have already said to let the family choose any quilt they may want of "my" quilts and then to hang the rest over the pews of the church and let people take whatever they want...then donate the rest....
    Our guild too has been the recipient of various members stashes over the years. It's always nice to refresh your own stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a score for you and all your guild members. I told my DIL to not let anyone pull up a dumpster and through it all in! Sell it, or give it is what I want them to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My only child(son) know his aunt & my girlfriends get first dibs on my quilters stash & sewing machines when I pass. He thinks I'm a little nuts. But, says yes mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've actually spoke of it to my children. The group I sew with had this same kind of situation come about last year. My desire is for mine to go to a fairly new quilter whose finances are tight. How they'll figure that I'm not sure, lol, but it was a true eye opener for me when I started purchasing materials and supplies 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a 'quilting power of attorney'. I have posted the name of a knowledgeable quilting friend that my husband is to call to take care of my stuff if I die first!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I haven't died but 3 years ago I sold my home in Florida and had a stash about as big as the one described or larger. Sold a bit but called a guild friend to take the rest for the 3 guilds she belonged to. She filled her large van many times and as moving day got closer, i kept finding more. I had worked at a quilt store for many years and i think i bought at least a yard of every fabric that passed through. I kept some UFOs a.c nd two bins of fabric. It feels good to have contributed to many charity quilts and to friends .

    ReplyDelete
  10. My guild has had to do this twice, when we lost members.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stash enhancement, Jan! That was SOME stash, huh? DH knows that he is to call my Quilt Bee friends to come take care of the sewing room when I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s in my will. After my niece and granddaughter takes their machines and fabrics, rulers and such, my son will call Jan and Teresa and they will get what they want and then take the rest to the Denton Quilt Guild and Girls, have a ball. I hope there is some left after this mess we are experiencing now because I’ve made about 8 quilts and several wall hangings. Oh well, I think there will be enough left to remember me by. Love my quilter friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! That is quite an enhancement to your stash! How awesome of her son to deal with it like this other than just toss it (Shudder!) or donate it to a thrift store who might not know the value or how to deal with so much fabric.

    Question - did you prewash the fat eighths? That seems too small a piece to wash? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete