Friday, October 7, 2022

Drop Everything and Make It

Last month I posted about a UFO finished from several years ago, a race-style quilt, photos here. I was inspired to make another race-style quilt. Drop Everything and Make it, aka DrEAMi, as Sandra from MMM Quilts would say.

I had some 2" wide coral, pink, and orange strips left from when I cut too many for another project, but not enough. So I raided my stash and found some yellows, purples, a little red, and more coral, pink and orange fabrics. 

I wanted the quilt to be twin bed size. After calculating how big I wanted the quilt to be and figuring how many strips I'd need and what I'd need to do to modify a race-style quilt to come out the right size, I cut more strips. Here's the palette I ended up with.

I liked how the black and white "stoppers" looked in the old UFO quilt, so I used them again for this project. Then began the process of stitching a stopper to the end of every strip. Most of my strips were WOF, some half WOF, and some just random lengths, so I knew the stoppers would just fall wherever when I assembled the top. Next step, sew all those strips together end-to-end. 

After that, it was the first lo-o-o-ng seam. Because of twists in the long strips, I occasionally had to stop, open it at the stopper seams, untwist, and sew it back together. The first long seam took more than five hours. The second seam went quicker but still took more than two hours. Now the body was 6" wide. By my calculations, the eventual length sewn race-style would be 96" long, and 60" wide. I would need it wider than that for a twin bed and I had more than enough length, so I cut off two 96" pieces to use as side borders later. 

Another long seam, now it's 12" wide. Another, 24" wide. And another, 48". And finally the last seam, and it's 96". This is now the lengthwise dimension for the quilt. As expected, the colors played nicely together and the stoppers landed wherever they fell. In only a couple of cases did the same fabric end up overlapping with itself. 


But wait - This thing is huge! Instead of the 60" wide I thought my measurements and number of strips would yield, it came out 80" wide!!! How did that happen???  Clearly I was way off in my calculations. 

Here it is on my wall, hanging sideways because it's so big. 

When it's on the bed the strips will go across, like this:

I really want it to finish 72" by 96" for a twin bed. So, I sliced off about 8" from the width. I have time booked on PCQ's long arm and the backing (pink polka dots) and batting are already prepped, so this will soon be quilted. I can trim it up further after quilting if it's still too wide. 

This quilt will go to Natalie's House, a home for girls transitioning into foster care. It'll be on the bed to welcome a girl when she arrives, and will be hers to keep forever.  Could the colors be any more girly?!!! I love it! 


Linking up with Alycia Quilts, TGIFF, Wendy's Quilts and More,  Confessions of a Fabric Addict,  and Oh Scrap!



16 comments:

  1. It's just perfect for some girl needing a quilty hug! Nice work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, another beautiful quilt top. The black and white stops are such a lovely confetti against the bright colors. Have fun quilting it on the longarm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in this one. I have a pile of about the same colors waiting for me to cut into them. Some girl is going to be very lucky to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW this really came out beautifully--love the B&W stoppers intermingled with those pretty fabrics...nice work ;))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, Jan. What child being set out on her own wouldn't love this quilt to start out anew with? Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful quilt for someone in need! You are making brighter the life of a girl who will so need that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love your color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fantastic quilt!! the black and white stoppers add so much interest to the other gorgeous colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has turned out beautifully, I've never done a jelly roll race quilt. The black and white really adds bit of oomph to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the way this turned out. It's a bright, happy quilt that a girl at that house will love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto all the accolades. This is a wonderful quilt for a fabulous purpose. I love the idea that girls get something of their own as they enter foster care. So often all of their belongings are in a trash bag when they enter/move foster homes. I'm sure a beautiful quilt will be much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well rats. I just commented but it's anonymous. I forget that most blogs don't recognize me anymore. Brsinstitches@ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that squirrel got you good! No wonder that first seam took you five hours. And now you’ll have another squirrel on your hands—what to do with those unexpected cutoffs. I love the true randomness of the black and white bits, and how the yellows light up the whole quilt. This will be such a heart warmer for someone with a hurting soul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SEW pretty, Jan! Sorry about the miscalculation. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh MY do I ever love this Jan! I have long wanted (and even prepped) a jelly roll quilt but have never actually sat and started sewing. Maybe I should try it as a leader/ender to get me started?! I love the black and white stoppers and yes, the colours are perfect for a girl. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this and the black a white stoppers a great addition.

    ReplyDelete