Monday, October 31, 2022

Four Patch Shuffle, Part 1

 I always need to have a piecing project going, something to work on at social sewing. Usually it's some sort of donation quilt for one of the charities PCQ supports. That's the case this time, with a new project I'm calling Four Patch Shuffle. Here's the EQ rendering: 

My construction method is similar to my Cut and Shuffle method except that the parent blocks are smaller and I'm cutting them into four patches instead of nine patches. Each of these starter blocks will be cut in half vertically and horizontally, to become quadrants for the final blocks. 

Parts from multiple starter blocks get shuffled to create four finished blocks. 

Blocks are 8" finished. The layout is 7 x 9 blocks for a top size of 56 x 72". My design wall is occupied so here are the blocks I've finished so far, laid out on the table:

Oops, I see that the green/orange blocks in this photo are oriented opposite of how they are in the drawing. There are multiple possible layouts. I'll continue making blocks, four at a time, at social sewing. When I get all the blocks made - and have design wall space to work with - I'll play with different layouts. I particularly like the strong diagonals created by the alternating placement of black and white blocks, but I may find something I like even better. 

The black dot print here is the last piece from the generous gift from Quilt Diva Julie. The rest of the fabrics were from my stash or purchased for this project. These are boy colors, refreshing after all the girly pinks, corals, and purples I've been working with lately. This quilt will go to the local family services agency, where they occasionally have a need for a boy quilt. 


Linking up with Design Wall Monday at  Small Quilts and Doll Quilts





6 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your use of black and white with bold colors lately. This looks like a really fun sewing project to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks like it goes together quickly. Another great design for a donation quilt.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby is right - it looks like fun! I love the colors you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very fun and colorful project. That should keep you smiling as we move into the more gloomy fall weather.

    ReplyDelete