Friday, October 28, 2022

Leftovers

 When I realized I had more strips than I needed for my Hot Race quilt, and they were already sewn into sets of four, I knew I'd have to do something with them. The leftovers were long lengths I had reserved for borders, and 8" cut off the side of the race quilt top because it was too wide. Given the sizes I had, I could cut them into sections 6-1/2" square. 

I framed them up in black or white, and laid them out at social sewing,  The girls suggested moving some around to balance the colors, and now the blocks are sewn together into a top.


The black and white "stoppers" from the original race quilt fell randomly in the new blocks. I was short a few pieced blocks so there are a few plain blocks placed randomly in the mix. The blocks finished at 9" and the quilt top finished at 54 x 72" for a nice throw. 

When I get a chance, I'll find backing for this in PCQ's stash. I'll prep the backing and batting for quilting and let someone else quilt this one. Snowbirds are returning and need to be recertified on the long arm so they'll need something to quilt. This will eventually go to the local family services agency. 

It's finally fall here - temps in the 60s at night and in the 80s during the day. Beautiful! No need to run the AC, and we've even had the windows open. I love living here!


Link ups: Alycia QuiltsConfessions of a Fabric Addict

6 comments:

  1. What a great way to use up the extra piecing from the Hot Race quilt, it looks wonderful. And those temperatures sound delightful; having the windows open is such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love how the black and white makes the colors pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a super PERFECT way to use them!! and what a gorgeous quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd never guess this quilt was made from leftovers. Very colorful and bright!

    ReplyDelete