Friday, December 9, 2022

Cube Challenge a la Escher

 My Cube Challenge project is finally a finished flimsy. PCQ's challenge this year is to represent the Cube in a finished piece that will be displayed in PebbleCreek's Creative Arts Center in March. 

It's much too big to photograph on my wall outside so here's an indoor shot on my design wall. It finished at 96" wide by 98" high before quilting. 

My husband decided he wants this quilt for our bed so I ordered wool batting for it. I found the perfect backing for it - a digitally printed wide ombre Stonehenge in Oxidized Copper. It's so cool; dark green at the sides similar to the background of the front, shading through coppery hues to pale golden tan at the center.  See it here.

Alycia is going to quilt it for me. We've been talking about ruler work in and around the Y shapes and filler with paisleys and swirls in the background. 

A couple of people who've seen photos of it in progress have called it my Escher quilt, so I'm naming it Cube Challenge a la Escher. I'll make a label for it and prep the binding before Alycia sends it back to me in February, so it can be completely finished in time. 

PCQ is the featured club for the display windows and hallway in the Creative Arts Center in March each year. All the challenge quilts will be on display for the month. I've seen a couple of them in work, and there's some serious talent going into the ones I've seen. For those intimidated by the three dimensional aspect of the cube, a Tumbling Blocks class is being held this month, to learn Y seams and value placement. Any completed Cube project is eligible for display, so smaller projects like placemats, runners, pillows and bags will be featured in the windows. 


Link ups: Alycia Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF and Wendy's Quilts and More

4 comments:

  1. This is very cool! Your quilting plan sounds like it will make it even better :) The display of challenge projects sounds like it would be a treat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful quilt, Jan, and the backing is perfect. I look forward to seeing how Alycia quilts it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on an amazing Quilt !!! that is really cool and graphic - I can see why your husband wants you to keep it!!!

    ReplyDelete