Friday, April 14, 2023

Friendship Stars for PCQ Community Service

 My role on the PCQuilters' Community Service Committee has been to develop and plan charity quilt patterns for our Community Sew Days. We're now starting a new term of officers so we're having a planning meeting tomorrow for the upcoming year, May 2023 thru April 2024. 

I'm looking forward to sharing the design role this term, a recent development. Meanwhile, I've been prepping another easy pattern we can make using the club's stash. It's a simple Friendship Star, scaled up to 18" blocks. For each Community Service pattern, I make a prototype, write the pattern, and have someone pattern test it. I've been working on the Friendship Star sample so it'll be ready to show at tomorrow's meeting. 

Cutting is very simple - some 6-1/2" squares and some 7-1/4" squares. Then making HSTs and trimming them to 6-1/2". For the prototype I used scraps, small pieces, and yardage from my batik bin. Anything goes, as long as there's good value contrast. The more variety, the better.


All those HSTs had to be squared up and trimmed. 

Big, easy blocks went together quickly, and soon I had my prototype top to share at tomorrow's meeting. This is 72 x 90 to fit on a twin bed as a bedspread. 

I've written the draft of the pattern and the next step will be to have one of the girls on the committee pattern test it using fabrics from the club's stash. The cutting is pretty efficient for either yardage or fat quarters. The construction is beginner-friendly because we have all skill levels of quilters who participate in our Community Service sew days. When the pattern is ready, I'll post it to my Free Charity Quilt Patterns tab above. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the alternating layout of the stars and backgrounds. And I hope that sharing the design role is fun and goes smoothly over the next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun project. It's hard to come up with something that's easy, works with scraps, and looks impressive. Great job on the design end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sample quilt is terrific! I’m also making a friendship star quilt….in size small….for Lori doll quilt swap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sample quilt is terrific! I’m also making a friendship star quilt….in size small….for Lori doll quilt swap :)

    ReplyDelete