Friday, June 23, 2023

Flying Geese Quilt Finished

 Remember the Flying Geese top I was working on back in April, using these fabrics? 


I had an opportunity to quilt it at the end of May and now it's a finished quilt. 


I loaded it sideways on the long arm and quilted straight-ish lines in the ditch and through the points of the geese. It was my first time trying ruler work on the long arm. Very awkward. 

My intention was that the long arm quilting would hold everything together and I could come back on my domestic machine and quilt all the horizontal lines in the ditch. That would have resulted in much denser quilting, making the quilt stiffer.  This quilt already has a stiff batting, so I opted to only quilt in the ditch horizontally between the tall blocks.  There's enough quilting in the vertical channels, 3" apart, so it'll hold up just fine, and hopefully this quilt will soften up with washing. For charity quilts, whatever batting they have is what gets used. 

The backing is a mint green tone-on-tone print from the club's backing stash and the color is perfect. I used the backing off-cuts for the binding. 

This quilt will go to the local agency for victims of sexual violence, whose clients tend to be a lot of teens and tweens. At 60" square, this quilt should be suitable for one of their clients. 

I enjoyed working on this project. The palette was a challenge for me to use lower contrast than I usually do, and I was partially successful. But I reverted to my usual stronger contrast and ended up with the mix you see here. It was also a retreat project, and it's always fun to work on projects at retreat. The girls there helped me lay out the blocks, another part of the challenge. 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the finish and for finding such a perfect matching backing/binding print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have quilted several quilts partially on the longarm and then ditch quilted on my regular machine to define the shapes of the blocks. I was really happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt and how kind you are to donate it to such a worthy organization. Someone will be comforted by it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish! I think the colors will be very soothing for whoever receives it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a very pretty finish. You did a great job of balancing the low and high contrast blocks and the colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete