Friday, June 2, 2023

May Stash Report and Goals Update

I was away for awhile in May, at the beach with my family, but even so I managed to find time to sew. Most important, I got a back made for my Red Round Robin Medallion top. It'll be part of Kelly Young's (My Quilt Infatuation) new book kick off, so I'll wait until then to show it. Here's the top:

I worked on a lot of Scrappy Celebration blocks with friends this month. We now have enough blocks for one top and we're starting on a second. More about that in another post. 

I finished another charity quilt top, which I'll turn in as is. Others on the committee will prep backing and quilt it. I've asked them to return it to me for binding because I have enough of one of the fabrics used in it to bind it, and then I can get a finished photo. 


I'll count the portion of the fabrics in the charity top that were mine in my stash report. Between that and the RRR Medallion top and its still-secret backing, my stash usage was pretty good this month. I indulged in a bit of stash enhancement in Pensacola, but that's okay. 

May Stash Report: 

IN this month: 4-7/8 yards (from A&E in Pensacola)
OUT this month: 16-3/4 yards (Red Round Robin Medallion - 5-1/8 yards. Backing, 3-1/2 yards. Kaffe lily pad 4 patch, 6-3/4 yards. Additional Scrappy Celebration blocks & donated fabrics, 1 yard.)

IN YTD: 19-7/8 yards
OUT YTD: 72-1/4 yards
YTD Net Change: 52-3/8 yards OUT

Since my goal is to break even or reduce the stash each year, I'm on track to do all right. 

The other big accomplishment this month was to finish Mineral Plus. It had languished as an unquilted top for several years, but I was able to quilt it, bind it, and donate it this month. It was always intended as a hospice quilt for Hands2Help, so it's been donated to the local hospice that PCQ supports. 


I mentioned the Scrappy Celebration blocks I've been working on. Well, I've enjoyed making individual blocks without a specific plan, just pulling fabrics from our communal palette for one block at a time knowing that they'll all work together. So I'm inspired to make a quilt of my own, using my own earth tone palette and a variety of blocks. I pulled fabrics and made the first block; story to come in another post later. It's definitely something I can see myself working on over the next few months. 

Goals Update: 

May Recap: 
1. Sew a backing for the red round robin top for Kelly Young's upcoming book promotion. DONE

2. Make blocks for Scrappy Celebration small group project.  Yes, more than 20 blocks made so far.

3. Quilt something on PCQ's long arm. Yes, quilted the flying geese project. (Needs more SiD quilting which I'll do on my domestic machine.)

4. Plan and cut a new project to piece at Social Sewing. Yes, another Four Patch Variation with border, using Kaffe lily pad print; I actually finished the top.

5. Bind Mineral Plus. DONE

June Goals:
1. Make blocks for second Scrappy Celebration in bright color palette. 

2. Make blocks for earth tone sampler.

3. Plan and prep for July retreat.

4. Photograph top and back and write blog post for Kelly Young's book release.

5. Finish quilting the flying geese quilt, bind and finish it.

6. Quilt something on the club's long arm.

The other thing I want to do in June is get back into the habit of blogging twice a week, which means I need to take more in-process photos and do more photo editing ahead of time. I've kind of gotten away from that, so I need to refocus. I also want to get back to reading blogs more regularly; I've kind of fallen away from that since the demise of Bloglovin, and I miss my blogger friends. 


Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Alycia Quilts


7 comments:

  1. You are making great progress on using up more than you bring in, and congratulations on getting your goals met in May and enjoying a vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Feedly and like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend Feedly to follow blogs. I switched to it when Bloglovin stopped working. I went to A&E in Pensacola maybe 6 or 7 years ago while visiting friends. The Scrappy Celebration blocks look like an interesting project. Lots of variety to keep from getting bored.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. The feature fabric in the charity caught my eye in the overall photo. Thanks for sharing a close up of it. The recipient is going to be delighted with their gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on all the progress in May. It's hard when you have travel plans during the month. Great stash metrics too. You are on track for a very productive year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your colorful Scrappy Celebration blocks! Well done with your last month list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your beach trip did not slow you Down at ALL!! Those are some great quilts!

    ReplyDelete