Friday, June 30, 2023

June Stash Report and Goals Update

It didn't feel like a busy month, but I got more done than I thought. One of the charities PCQ supports put out a request for quilts for teen boys. I don't have anything specific to teen boys (sports, video games, science) in my stash, so I pulled a generic masculine palette together and pieced a top. Unfortunately as I was getting ready to post about it I saw in the photos that I transposed a couple of the pieces, so I have to fix it. I have backing for it and I hope to get it fixed and quilted soon. 

Masculine top, detail

The big thing for this month was a blog post for Kelly Young's new book, Perfectly Pieced Quilt Backs.
Backing for Perfectly Pieced Quilt Backs blog hop

Together with my friends, we finished enough blocks for our first Scrappy Celebration top and started on a second in a brighter palette. None of us are bored with making these blocks yet, and these are charity quilts, so we'll just keep going. 
Scrappy Celebration

Other than that, I quilted and finished the Flying Geese quilt and pieced a lot of blocks for Scrappy Celebration and Road Trip. 
Flying Geese quilt, finished

The chair of PCQ's Community Service Committee talked me into taking an Adopt-a-Quilt kit (someone's UFO), so I finished piecing that. It just needed borders added and they were in the kit. The fabric was some kind of iridescent silk patchwork with gold metallic screen printing and other metallic fabrics pieced in, all serged together. Someone had added quilting cotton with a gold metallic Asian print for the borders. There was backing fabric in the kit, too, but not enough, so I added some from my own stash, pieced the backing, and made the binding. I'll pass the whole thing along to the girls who cut batting, then they can put it in the to-be-quilted pile. No photos.

I finally broke down and ordered backing to go with my Four Patch Shuffle top and quilted it. I never could find anything suitable in the club's backings, so it's been sitting since January. I found the most perfect wide backing when an on-line vendor was having a sale. The quilt is not bound yet, so no photos yet, but I'll post when it's finished. 

In addition to the wide backing, a few other smaller cuts of fabric jumped into my cart, including more of the turquoise I'm using for my Road Trip project, so I did have some stash additions this month. 

June Stash Report: 
IN this month: 5-1/2 yards (5-1/2 yards Connecting Threads order, includes wide backing)
OUT this month: 9-3/4 yards (3 yards donated for backing for an Adopt-a-Quilt for PCQ. Masculine geometric top, 6-3/4 yards)

IN YTD: 25-3/8 yards
OUT YTD: 82 yards
YTD Net Change: 56-5/8 yards out

The masculine quilt and the Adopt-a-Quilt kit weren't on my goals list for this month. Even so, I was able to make good progress on my list. 

Goals Update: 

June Recap: 
1. Make blocks for second Scrappy Celebration in bright color palette. Yes, 18 blocks made so far

2. Make blocks for earth tone sampler. Yes, now called Road Trip; about 20 blocks made so far.

3. Plan and prep for July retreat. Progress; I die-cut some strips for a planned project and have other projects packed. 

4. Photograph top and back and write blog post for Kelly's book release. Yes, posted on June 21 for her blog hop.

5. Finish quilting the flying geese quilt, bind and finish it. Done. 

6. Quilt something on the club's long arm. Yes, quilted the Four Patch Shuffle.

Other:
 - Pieced a quick masculine top in response to one of our charities' need for teen boy quilts.
 - Finished an Adopt-a-Quilt top and pieced a backing for it. 

Road Trip blocks

Darker, brighter palette for second Scrappy Celebration

July Goals: 

1. Finish prepping for retreat. Have fun at retreat!

2. Bind Four Patch Shuffle.

3. Make blocks for Road Trip sampler and work on layout.

4. Make blocks for Bright Scrappy Celebration.

5. Quilt something on the club's long arm.

6. Find or create a new project to work on at social sewing.

With four days of sewing at retreat, I expect July will be a very productive month. We'll see....


Link up: Alycia Quilts




3 comments:

  1. It isn't easy to make quilts for teen boys. Helps if you know their interests. You found a nice compromise. I'm intrigued by the road trip blocks. Looking forward to seeing how you to fill the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a really productive June, and it looks like you have a great plan for July. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Flying Geese quilt finish, Jan! The Scrappy Celebration flimsy is going to be lovely quilt. Looking forward to seeing the brighter version, too!

    ReplyDelete