I like this! it's been fun making the blocks, designing them one at a time. The inspiration fabric is used in all but one of the blocks. I used every inch of it, nothing is left. Many of the other fabrics are repeated in two blocks, making the overall look cohesive. But there is something that bugs me, and even though this is just a donation quilt, I'm going to change it.
The block that bugs me is the one at the lower left. It needs to have dark-ish corners, but the overall look is too dark, too heavy, too harsh. I may keep the plum fabric in the corners, to balance out the other blocks that have noticeably dark corners. I'll definitely change the outer diamond patches to something lighter, less heavy. Before I sew it back together I'll look at it on the wall and in a photo, and decide if I need to lighten up the outer corner fabric as well.
Designing the blocks one at a time with cut parts on a tabletop results in blocks that look good individually. But when they're all together, if one or another stands out too much it detracts from the whole. The problem block looked good on the tabletop, and all the fabrics in it harmonize individually with everything else in the palette. But color and value are relative, and when this block is placed next to lighter ones, it reads heavy and dark.
So, a little seam ripper activity will happen and - hopefully - the revised block will play nicer with the rest of them.
Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

I knew immediately which one was the problem child for you. I’m wondering if you switched the second round with the third round, if that would do the trick?
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, individual blocks are often wonderful until they don't play nicely with their friends. I have a slew of economy blocks that really aren't great together but fine separately. Sigh. Someday I'll figure them out. Have you tried sprinkling the dark blocks in the center to see if that would help. Maybe go from dark center blocks to light blocks on the outside? It seems sad to tear the block up though. Good luck with your choice.
ReplyDeleteThis is going to be such a pretty quilt!
ReplyDeleteDon't you just hate it when you run out of a planned fabric??? I hear that a lot of folks say it's an inspiration to change up things--but I usually just get very frustrated--to me it feels like having to start all over again. Maybe Bonnie's comment above about darker in center would work? If not, save the extra block for the back maybe? Hugs Julierose
ReplyDelete