Friday, September 18, 2026

Floral Picnic X and Plus

I taught a class featuring the X and Plus block to fellow members of PCQ in May. Several of my students were planning to go to the same retreat as me in July and they were planning to work on their X and Plus projects at retreat. The more the merrier, so I decided to make another X and Plus quilt, this time a donation quilt in floral prints. This palette is totally unlike most of the other versions out there, and very much unlike the Kaffe/black and Christmas versions my friends were making. 

I searched through PCQ's large stash of florals as well as a handful of my own scraps. Some of the prints are used once, some twice. Mostly I wanted variety. 

Everything was cut and ready to work on before retreat so I was able to get the center of the top pieced there. My plan was to add a light stop border and a green solid-ish outer border. But I couldn't find anything of sufficient yardage in my stash or the club's that harmonized with the top. 

One of the girls at retreat was making a picnic quilt that had a bold gingham border. When I found a yard of green gingham in my stash, I took a page from her book and used it for the border. It would make the quilt look more youthful and more casual. 

I cobbled together the back from the random leftover floral prints and a few leftover block quarters. Basically a "free" backing, and no leftover prints to go back into the scrap bins. I quilted it using a pale green thread, bound it in one of the leftover florals, and donated it. It's going to either the local family services agency or to Hospice.

It was fun to work on the blocks at retreat with my friends who were also making their own versions. But I have to admit, this is not my favorite quilt,  But it's a donation quilt and I'm sure it will go where it's needed. 


Link Up: Alycia Quilts

No comments:

Post a Comment