Wednesday, September 30, 2026

September Stash Report and Goals Update

I had a wide variety of goals this month, but I ended up focusing on one and some of the others saw less progress. It's all good. No one is keeping score except me, and the score doesn't matter anyway. 

The project I ended up focusing on was my Checkered Garden blocks. In my last post I had all 20 blocks made, but I wasn't happy with one of them. That has now been fixed, and the result is much better.
Checkered Garden Blocks

I was able to quilt the "Found" UFO during my recent long arm reservation, and I'll show photos as soon as I get it bound. Here's the top; the center was assembled and the strips for the borders were in the project box. Since this is so close to a finish, I'm going to count the fabric out in my stash report. 
"Found" UFO Top

I did purchase a little fabric this month, a few quarter yard and half yard cuts for both Checkered Garden and stash enhancement. While shopping with Edna for something she needed, we found a very nice low volume print that we both stashed. Coming soon in a future project, I'm sure. All in all, though, my stash report is looking good for the year. 

September Stash Report

IN this month: 4-1/2 yards (1/2 yard from Hobby Lobby. 3 Yards from Bob's. 1 yard low volume from Hobby Lobby)
OUT this month: 13-1/2 yards (Binding for Floral X and Plus, 5/8 yard. Found UFO top, 8-1/4 yards; backing, 4 yards, binding 5/8 yard.)

IN YTD: 87-3/4 yards
OUT YTD: 100-1/4 yards
YTD Net Change: 12-1/2 yards OUT

I'm finally in the black! That's likely to change next month as I'll have an opportunity to shop at my favorite Pensacola quilt shop. More stash enhancement...

Goals Update

September Recap: 

1. Work with Edna to remove bad quilting and re-quilt the veteran's quilt. DONE and delivered. We again had some difficulty and some of the replacement quilting had to be ripped out and redone. We suspect the problem has to do with her bobbin case (PCQ requires each of us to have our own) because when we used mine, the quilting came out fine. The bobbin case issue is being addressed with the long arm committee. 

2. Quilt and finish the floral X and Plus quilt. DONE and donated. 

3. Quilt and finish the found UFO quilt. Progress: Quilted, and binding cut but not attached yet. 

4. Make backing for the teal Diabolical Jane quilt. Not done. 

5. Work on the Triangles and Coins project. Progress; changed palette and design and eliminated the coins. Kitted up to sew the columns at social sewing. Purchased sashing fabric. 

6. Work on the other new scrappy piecing project, Checkered Garden inspired by Linda of Kokaquilts. Progress: Made all of the blocks, including taking apart and remaking some that bothered me. Kitted up and ready to assemble top. 

7. Plan a long term and complicated project for future sewing. Progress, maybe??? I've been collecting Pinterest photos but haven't landed on something long term and complicated yet. I have found lots of shorter term projects I'd like to make, so maybe several of those will serve the same purpose, to keep me busy for months. 

8. Make progress on the walking foot quilting on the Kaffe Gradient quilt. No, too hot to wrestle with a heavy quilt. 

Floral X and Plus, finished

October Goals

1. Piece backing for teal DJ2. Quilt it during my next long arm reservation on the 16th. If possible, bind and finish it. 

2. Assemble the Checkered Garden blocks into a top. 

3. Bind the Found UFO quilt and donate it. 

4. Assemble the Triangles (formerly with coins) into a top using the newly purchased fabric for sashing. 

5. Make progress on the walking foot quilting on the Kaffe Gradient quilt. 

6. Continue planning for future projects, either something long-term and complicated, or several easier projects for donations. 

Triangles, revised palette, no coins
This project needs a new name.

Part of planning for future projects involves assessing my stash and determining where I need to fill in. I'll have an opportunity to do some fabric shopping in October, and I want to have a plan. I'm sure I'll come up with something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment