I had a specific concept in mind. I searched locally and didn't find anything. I ordered fabrics on line to choose from. When they came, I rejected them all. I expanded my concept a little bit and searched locally again. I found a couple of possibilities.
1. Daisy doodles, the right color and more in keeping with the funky bohemian vibe I was going for. I really wanted something more geometric, not so floral, but the color, scale, density, and non-directional aspect of this print work well.
2. Vines. Not at all the concept I wanted, much too traditional. But so pretty, and it complements all the prints in my fan blades so well. Also the right color, value, density, and non-directional.
I dithered. I laid out blocks on both fabrics at the shop and talked to other quilters shopping there that day. Opinions were mixed, whether I should stick to my original concept or go the traditional route. So what did I decide?
I talked myself into the daisy print. I bought enough yardage for background for all the blocks, 4.5 yards. I treated myself to a yard of the vine fabric just because I like it so much.
And then over a week at home, I dithered some more. I reconsidered. I asked here on the blog for opinions, and the results were mixed.
The more I reconsidered, the less I liked the daisies. I chose the vine print.
I went back to the store and bought enough more of the vine fabric for background for all my blocks. Even though it's far away from my original concept, I love the look and I know this is the right background print for this quilt. It doesn't fight with or overwhelm the prints in the blades, but it's a strong enough print that it's not just a ho-hum boring background.
I've started stitching the fans to the background squares and I'm sure I made the right decision.
Linking up with
Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Love Laugh Quilt