Friday, May 7, 2021

Strippy HST Sample for PCQ

In my previous post (scroll down) I mentioned making kids' quilts for PCQ, and the Strippy HST block I came up with for them. 

Yesterday we had a work day to cut strips from the club's stash and package up kits. Even using my big die cutter with the 2" strip die we didn't get enough done, so we'll have another work day next week to finish getting the kits together. Due to summer hours at the Creative Arts building our work day was cut short. 

In addition to the block step-outs shown in my earlier post, I made a sample top to show the girls what we'd be making. This is just one of many possible layouts. 


Since I had my choice of the fabrics and scraps used in this quilt, I used a lot of my own sports prints, and donated the leftovers from the FQs to the cause. I also used several reclaimed plaid shirts. Some of the light strips came from the club's stash, but most came from mine, including my scrap drawers. A great way to use up scraps! There are a lot of I-Spy type prints here, everything from basketballs, bicycles and boomerangs to parachutes, pirates and puppies. Some boy in need of a quilty hug will eventually get this. 

I'll post a tutorial for this project next week. 


Link ups: Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Alycia Quilts

6 comments:

  1. For pulling together donated fabrics, this looks great! It feels masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many kits are you aiming to prep for? Sounds like a great way to spend time with other quilters and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute quilt top, Jan!! Looking forward to next week's tutorial. Can't wait to see the quilt tops the PCQ girls will make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely top and great use of scraps. Looking forward to the tutorial. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute way to use novelty prints! I'm looking forward to your tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great project! And I bet there are a lot of layout possibilities! It will be fun to see your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete