Monday, June 6, 2022

Charley Harper Pillows, Part 2

You would think making two simple pillow covers would be a piece of cake. It would be, except for the need for two trips to the dreaded big box store.

I had found these Charley Harper quail and roadrunner prints at the AQS show in Paducah. My husband was quite tickled with them when I showed him, especially the quail print. Here's where progress paused:


My pillows are planned to finish at 18" so the quilted fronts and backs need to be 19".  That's what I planned for when I quilted the tops. They'll fit 18" pillow forms. 

I had bought fabric for the pillow backs when I was in Paducah; it's a sage green that's very close to the color of the recliner in our family room. The plan was to quilt enough of the sage fabric for both pillow backs. I had a partial spool of matching thread but it wasn't enough to complete the quilting, so the quilting sat on hold until I could get to the store. I waited until valid coupon day to go. 

No 18" pillow forms in stock when I went to the store for thread. I did find zippers, though. The sale ad mentioned one brand but the store doesn't stock that brand, it stocks a different brand. Yeesh!

I thought I might be able to try 20" pillows, but I didn't have enough clearance around the quilted tops. Back to the store to return the too-large pillow forms. But, they had 18" ones in stock this time, so two of those came home with me. Coupon not valid because they were on sale. Have I mentioned how much I dislike shopping at that big box store?!

Anyway, the backs have been quilted, all the parts have been trimmed to 19", and the zippers have been installed. Here's where I'm at now:


It should be easy to finish them up now. They just need to be sewn around three sides and turned. It should be a quick finish next time I get back to the sewing machine. 


Link Ups: 
Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh Quilt



2 comments:

  1. I avoid that big box store entirely - too many bad experiences. (Quiltdivajulie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pillows! Your hubby is going to be thrilled when they are finished! I dislike that big box store too! They have those 50% off coupons but then they put everything on sale at less than 50% so you can't use the coupons!

    ReplyDelete