Monday, June 13, 2022

On My Design Wall: Carla's Blocks

Remember Carla's Box and her Second Box? In the second one were 16 quarter log cabin blocks in black and white prints. She had said something about them being left over from a project that had side triangles, which got me to thinking about how I could use the blocks for a donation quilt.

I purchased a bright tangerine solid to go with these black and white blocks, knowing that it would be gender-neutral, kid or teen friendly, upbeat and fun.

I played around in EQ and came up with an on-point setting that used 18 blocks. No problem, there were extra strips in the package from Carla. Plus I had plenty of other black and white strips if I needed more. I made two more blocks to go with Carla's. 


The side and corner triangles took some figuring. I erred on the large side so I wouldn't lose any points. 


But there's a problem. My top as shown on the wall measures only about 37" wide and 49" long. Too small as is for a donation quilt.

Apparently I used the wrong measurements in EQ when I was working out the layout. In the On Point layout, the program asks for the height and width of the blocks. So I measured across the diagonal of several of the blocks and most of them were about 12-1/2" across. I used 12.5" for my block height and width in EQ. My project layout told me the quilt size would be about 54 by 72". 

I know what the problem is. I should have used 8" for the height and width of the blocks, the actual size of the blocks as sewn. Now I know for next time. 

Okay, Plan B is to make the top larger. I have plenty of fabric to work with so I'm sure this problem can be solved. Stay tuned. 


Linking up with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and Love Laugh Quilt 


5 comments:

  1. This is a great teen quilt Jan! Can't wait to see your Plan B top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll come up with a beautiful solution to enlarging the quilt top. I look forward to seeing it grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slap on some borders and it'll be good to go. Maybe some b&w 4 patches on point around the edges with the tangerine. This is going to be a super quilt for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making the same quilt! My blocks, trimmed, are 11.5", as I made 4 rounds, but otherwise the same. My mistake came when cutting the setting and corner triangles. I forgot my blocks were bigger. Yikes. Had to order new fabric for those, but fortunately the collection is still available in several stores. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! I want to make a tangerine quilt now!!!! I would add a fat border of the tangerine all around & be done. I also cut my side triangles xbig for on point so I have the choice of whether to let them "float" or not. I can trim it off but can't add it back!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete