Monday, June 20, 2022

Planning for Retreat

 I'm going on a retreat in July with some of the girls from PCQ, to a ranch in southern AZ. It's at a higher elevation there so we'll be able to get out of the Phoenix heat for a few days.

It's a five day trip so I'll need plenty to do to keep me busy. Of course, I'll have time for socializing, happy hour, meals and games too, but I do need to plan my sewing projects. I like to have any cutting done ahead of time because I'm more likely to make mistakes if I try to cut in a social environment. 

One of the goodies in one of Carla's boxes was this partial Stack-N-Whack that she started in 2001 and abandoned. There are 12 blocks and cut pieces for 12 more. 


I really love the colors in this project; it's an Alexander Henry tropical print. Back in the nineties, Alexander Henry made the best tropical prints. I' don't know if they still do or not, or even if they're still in business. 


Included with the blocks and parts is a scrap of the print and about 2 yards of the cream tone-on-tone she used in the blocks. The book and the pattern were also included. Carla said to keep it if I want to finish it, or donate the kit to PCQ, or whatever. 

A possible reason why this project got stuck for so long: Some of the blocks measure 13-1/2" and some are 14-1/2" with many in between. I don't want to take all the blocks apart and remake them. I don't know if there's enough of the cream to finish all the cut blocks. The pattern calls for sashing and for sure there's not enough of the cream fabric for sashing and the rest of the blocks.

I played in EQ with sashing and coping strips to bring the blocks up to a common size. According to EQ's fabric estimate I have enough of the cream to make this plan work, using the existing blocks. 


This plan would result in a top that measures about 57 x 74". That's a good size for a throw. It would make a nice donation quilt for either hospice or the local family services agency. I can cut the coping strips and the sashing before retreat and have the project ready to go. 

Did I mention how much I love these colors, this fabric? I might keep the cut parts, add background fabric of my own, and make a Stack-N-Whack for myself someday. 


Link Ups: Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh Quilt

4 comments:

  1. That's going to be a fun one! Enjoy your retreat!!! and Cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will make a lovely quilt and I sure wouldn't let the extra pieces go to waste, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Alexander Henry fabric is still available at a few select online shops. I think the older prints were so much prettier than the newer ones. I think you should definitely make one for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a lot of people have made the stack and whack but for some reason the method has never drawn me in enough to make one. I agree that the AH print for this one has perfect colors for your new home. (and AH made that fabulous large scale bird print I used to back two quilts). Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete