Monday, March 13, 2023

Daisy Four Patch

 For the February PCQ Community Service sew day, we had kits made up for participants to make Four Patch Variation tops in twin bed size for the charities we support who have requested twin size. Since I was instrumental in making the kits (story here), I knew we had one with a cute daisy print so I chose this kit to work on myself. Disclaimer, some of the fabrics in this kit came from my own stash in addition to the club's, so I felt no qualms about nabbing this kit ahead of time. 

At our February sew day I got the four patches made and started laying out the blocks. I used a table and a flannel-backed tablecloth for my "design wall."


I started piecing the rows together but only got a couple blocks sewn in each row, then it was time to quilt for the day. Once home, I wasn't sure about the placement of the colors. I can see too many darks together in the photo above, so I knew some tweaking was needed. 

Once rearranged on my design wall where I could see the balance and placement better, this is the layout I ended up with. 

This quilt will be used as a bedspread on a twin bed. I placed the four daisy squares so that when the quilt is on the bed, right edge in the photo above on the pillow, the daisy squares will be centered around the top pf the bed. 


The palette was inspired by the daisy print, which will be used for the border. All the other colors were pulled from the club's or my stash to coordinate with the daisy print. I've had that white and blue geometric batik used in the four patches in my stash for years; it came from a quilter's estate way back when. This is the perfect use for it. 

Our March sew day is coming up this Saturday so I have the rows all labeled and kitted up. The borders are ready to go, although they'll have to be cut to length once the top is done. I'm hoping I can get the top finished Saturday. 

I want this quilt to go to Natalie's House, the group home for foster girls, because the colors are brighter and more youthful than what we typically have in the club's stash. Most of the other kits we made up feature more mature prints and color palettes. Those will be better suited for the two adult charities we support, but this cheerful blue one with its daisy print can go to a young girl. 


Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts


1 comment: