Friday, March 24, 2023

Finally Finished, the Coral Snake Quilt

 Whoo-hoo, after nearly two years of working on this at least a little bit every month, my Snake Quilt in coral, orange and pink is finally finished.


The blocks are 10", with the arcs all paper pieced and the background all hand cut from templates. The arcs were pieced in with curved seams. The layout evolved into two continuous loops that interlock. The top finished at 60-1/2 x 80-1/2" and after quilting the quilt is 58-3/4 x 78". 

The quilting was very tedious with lots of stops and starts. No, I did not bury all those thread tails. The quilt police would give me demerits, but I just reduced the stitch length for 2-3 stitches and backstitched at every start and stop. The grid finished at about 7/8" spacing.


I found the perfect backing print on sale on line, a print with tones of peach and salmon in it. 


This quilt is for me, not a donation quilt. My old sofa quilt will be retired and this will be my new sofa quilt. 

I've always thought of this as my coral snake quilt but of course I can't name it that because there is an actual coral snake and it is venomous. Ugh! The girls at social sewing who saw the top when I was piecing it thought it looked like the children's game Candy Land, so that's what I've been calling the quilt now. 


I'm very glad this one's finished because I was so tired of working on it. Now I get to actually enjoy using it.



9 comments:

  1. Candy Land is worthy of your persistence. The grid formation of the quilting compliments the curved piecing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a great finish. Yes, Candy Land sounds like the perfect name for this quilt. Hum, I've never thought of retiring my sofa quilt. Maybe it's gotten moved around with other quilts in the house because it doesn't look worn at all. There's always another quilt around anyway. I was taken by the beautiful blue sky on your last pic. We are having a very dull, gray day and now it is starting to rain. Sigh - a good day to stay inside and sew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting all the quilting complete and the quilt finished. The texture looks amazing, and I hope you are enjoying it as your new sofa quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely finish! I can imagine how tedious--not only the quilting but the piecing. But definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely amazing! Jan, it’s just fabulous and the tedious quilting is totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! Candyland, I love that!! It's such an intersting quilt and all those lovely pink/coral squares blend together perfectly <3 Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a stunner!! and yes, I bet in AZ - they would prefer candy land over a snake!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. c'est une véritable merveille, bravo!

    ReplyDelete