Monday, July 3, 2023

Masculine Geometric Top

The family services agency that PCQ supports put out a request recently for masculine quilts. Their clients are mostly women and girls, but occasionally they have boys, mostly teens, and they need suitably masculine quilts for them. The chair of our Community Service Committee selected the most appropriate quilts we had available and took them over. Now we need to replenish our supply. 

I don't have any fabric in my stash that's specifically for older boys or teens, but I was able to pull together a palette of masculine colors and make a top. 

I had purchased the yellow and grey geometric print while on vacation in Florida a couple years ago, specifically for a masculine donation quilt. I really like the combination of colors. Everything else here was from my stash, some of it inherited a while back. 

Knowing I just wanted to put together a large throw quickly, I cut 6-1/2" squares, laid them out on the design wall, kittted them up for social sewing, and sewed them together. After everything was sewn together, this is what I ended up with. With the border, this came out to about 60 x 78". 


I guess I didn't take photos of the design wall layout. Seeing it in the photo now, I don't like the yellow and white four patch at the left, so I'll replace the yellow block in the second column with a geo print block. A little un-sewing, a minor setback. 

I have backing for this top and time booked on the long arm at the end of the month, so I hope to get this one quilted soon. It may not scream Teen Boy like something with sports or video game themed fabric would, but at least it's masculine. Or it can go to the hospice we support, for an older man, since a couple of our masculine quilts that were designated for hospice were reassigned and went to the family agency for their immediate need. 

Sadly, the family agency's need is never ending, as are the needs of the other charities we support. We'll keep on making quilts. 


Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you are creating more masculine comfort quilts! There is always a need. My current quilt had a few blocks decided to change position from the design wall to the sewing machine! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wonderful to fulfill their request. If you have a particular block and size, I'ld be happy to make some blocks for you to pull into a quilt. I don't have a free arm machine to complete quilts. However, you find the tutorial or instructions and tell me colors...I"ll be glad to sew a bunch of blocks and mail them to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elana, your offer is very generous and kind. Unfortunately you are a "no-reply" commenter so I have no way to get in touch with you. I hope you see this message so you don't think I'm ungrateful for your offer. Please reach out to me at ochterbeckj (at) gmail (dot) com. I would be happy to send you some patterns for the blocks my guild males for charity quilts. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. You picked your color palette well, it does read masculine. A great guy quilt for a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That went together quick!! I like it!!!

    ReplyDelete