Monday, July 31, 2023

Kaffe Gradient on my Design Wall

One of the projects I worked on at retreat involved some 5" squares of Kaffe Fassett prints I inherited a while ago. Recently I acquired some partial FQs - scraps - of more Kaffe prints. I had seen a gradient lattice project by Rachel Hauser at Stitched in Color that inspired me to try something similar with my Kaffe prints. You can see the inspiration piece here

Prior to retreat I cut more 5" squares and some sashing strips and made a couple of test blocks. The blocks require very careful squaring up and they came out to 5-1/4" unfinished, quite small, but I thought the concept could work. At retreat I made more of them, and put them on the wall.


I was excited - this has more potential to become something cool than I thought it would. I need to make it bigger and I need to make the transitions from one color to the next smoother. More blocks, a couple of additional prints (not Kaffe) and a few revised layouts later, and this is the layout I have now.  

The next step will be to add the vertical sashing strips to all the blocks. The sashing will be like a trellis with the colors glowing behind it, creating a luminous effect. 

I'll continue to work on this project at home. It'll be easier to work on it from my design wall as I add the sashing pieces. Now that I've got the colors placed, I don't want them to get out of order! 


Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts


6 comments:

  1. It really glows like stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the direction you are taking with these fabrics and blocks. It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the distribution of color you were able to create, and I bet the lattice is really going to pull it together and help the colors to pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is going to be so great - love the color placement

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is truly gorgeous! I look forward to seeing the completion.

    ReplyDelete