Wednesday, June 20, 2018

June N4Nb Quilt

STLMQG is collecting small quilts for Nurses for Newborns, due in November. The organization takes them when they first visit a new family to teach baby care. Then they leave the quilt with the family to keep. I'm trying to make one of these small quilts per month. June's quilt is the result of a gift of a Moda scrap bag, story here.

It's now quilted, bound, and finished.  This one came out just slightly larger than some of the others, at 28" wide by 38" long. 

I quilted it with wavy lines across each of the seams, so it remains soft. It still needs a spin through the washer and dryer to bring out the crinkle, but I'll wait until I can batch several together.

I found the perfect backing for it in my stash, a piece that's been aging gracefully for over ten years. Turns out, it's also by 3 Sisters Designs, the same design team as the fabric collection used for the front. Taupe binding, also from stash, coordinates nicely with both sides.


I'm currently working on so many projects, some with deadlines, that I feel like I'm pulled in a lot of different directions. It's nice to have a small finish and get this project off the list.

Actually, I don't have much time for sewing this week because I'm getting ready for my family's Second Annual Great Water Balloon and Splash Party on Sunday. Picture 8 kids, ages 12 down to 18 months, hundreds of water balloons, squirt toys, a kiddie pool, assorted other backyard toys, bubbles, 15 adults (the dads and grandpas are like big kids), and barbecue. We're keeping our fingers crossed that the weather remains nice as forecast....  Here's DH and grandson CJ at last year's party.



Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comments - I appreciate hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your party sounds like so much fun! My parents were always the water fight instigators when we were younger and they had carried on the tradition with their grandchildren. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That party sounds amazing; I hope the weather is perfect and everyone has a great time. The quilt looks like just what you needed and I bet it felt great to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even little finishes are nice when you've got a long "to do" list. The party sounds like a lot of fun for everyone. Good luck with all your preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun family event! That little quilt will help start a new family toward their own special, fun traditions :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do believe that backing fabric is from the Roman Holiday line. My friend and I have hoarded our RH fabric and are just now planning to sew quilts with our remaining bits. It is hard to find it anymore!

    ReplyDelete