I pulled strip sets and leftover pieces from making the checkerboard blocks out to use them for the new border. Then I realized that making one border per month, the original plan, wasn't very efficient. So, change of goal. Instead of adding one border, I would prep the nine patches needed for all four borders.
Blocks & block sets on wall for borders
I cobbled together about 40 nine patch blocks from the parts and strips I had, with some threesies left over. I may need a few more threesies for all four borders, but I have plenty of extra fabric to make more.
Blocks selected for border but not sewn together yet
The border blocks are just placed on the wall, not joined into a strip yet. When sewn, the seams will align with the block and checkerboard seams in the quilt center.
Even though I changed the plan, I'm going to count this month's goal achieved because I moved the project forward significantly. My goal for next month will be to assemble the two side borders and join them to the sides of the quilt. Then the following month it will be the top and bottom borders.
Link Up: Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Sharing this blog post as proof of progress is very smart. I hope you enjoy your time together on Saturday!ReplyDelete
Much more logical process and, as you said, moved the project even further along.ReplyDelete
Moving things forward is the name of the game -- good for you!!ReplyDelete
Sometimes you realize that your path forward isn't the best way to proceed. Congrats on all the progress with this project. It's a beautiful quilt.ReplyDelete