Friday, January 25, 2019

Class Prep

I don't often take quilting classes, but I'm taking an all day workshop tomorrow. The class is "Goodnight Darleen!" by Kevin the Quilter, at the Quilted Fox.
"Goodnight Darleen!"  Image from Kevin the Quilter

It's all String Piecing, a type of Improv.  If you know me or you've followed my blog at all, you know Improv is not my thing. I'm a skilled pattern engineer; I can figure out how to draft complex designs and work from a plan. I'm pretty particular about accurate cutting and piecing. String piecing and Improv are so not me. I signed up for the class because it will push me to be less rigid  encourage me to loosen up a bit and step out of my comfort zone.

The pattern calls for lots of strings in neutrals and purples. I don't have much purple in my stash but I have lots of greens, so I'm using green for my dominant color. I also don't keep strings, so I've been cutting a lot of strips in various widths. Over the past month or so I've been able to collect enough strips & strings for the class tomorrow. 

Per the supply list for the class, I'll also need some larger pieces of greens and neutrals to cut some of the parts, so I'm packing a selection of those, too. 

Full disclosure, I helped Kevin with some editing and graphics for his pattern, so I have a pretty good idea of what we'll be making in class. 

I'm looking forward to the class - I think it'll be fun; I'll get to participate with other quilters who have different strengths; and Kevin is always a pleasure to hang out with. I'm sure I'll learn something, too! Now to get the rest of my stuff packed and ready to go...



8 comments:

  1. Oh, I like your fabric choices! Enjoy the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you have a great time in the class. I think it will help knowing Kevin so that if you feel stuck or worried it won't seem as intimidating to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have a great time. Say Hi! to Kevin for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LUCKY YOU to be in Kevin's class - I bet all of you have a complete blast stringing and laughing and carrying on. I like your greens a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I want to make of Kevin's Good Night Darlene quilts for our kitchen table. I may just borrow your idea to use greens and neutrals . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin the Quilter!!! Squeal!!! Someday he's going to be near Ohio and I'll get to take that class! Enjoy. It's going to be epic. I LOVE STRINGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds so fun to take a class with Kevin! Your greens will make a lovely piece. If you don't keep strings, what do you do with long, skinny scraps? Cut them into squares?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The green will look so great!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete