Tuesday, March 22, 2022

PCQ Community Service Sew Day

Recently PCQ held an all day sew day to work on charity quilts for a local family services agency. The Community Service committee had prepped kits ahead of time using the Quilt for Kids pattern I had created for this purpose. We had a great turnout - 18 people! The room was so packed we couldn't have shoe-horned another person in. 


We had prepped about two dozen kits. Some people took an extra kit home after working on their first kit that day. We ended up making at least four more kits because we had enough cut parts for them, and made them available for adoption at the general guild meeting last week. All were taken. 

The agency serves victims of sexual violence so our focus was on quilts for teenage girls. My sample: 


Everyone got all their blocks made and some people got some of their rows together. I heard no complaints about the pattern or the kits, although a couple needed extra strips, which we were able to provide. Based on the ease, speed, and progress, I would consider this a successful charity sew day. 


Some of the kits had black in them, not all. The tops that were this far along when we took the photo happened to have black in them. George's kit had pink flamingoes, tropical florals, and greenery, and he was planning his layout so all the flamingoes would be going in the same direction. I wish I had a photo, but maybe I'll get one when his quilt is finished. 

By the following Wednesday at social sewing, several people had completed their tops and were making backs and cutting batting in preparation for quilting them on the long arm. Here's Julie's top; you can't see it in the photo but the black patches have multi-colored confetti printed on them, very festive. This quilt could go to one of the boys the agency occasionally has as a client. 


It was a fun and successful sew day. Very gratifying for me, not only because of the impact of making so many quilts for the family services agency we support but also because my pattern and my efforts were successful and well received. 


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you for all YOUR effort that allowed this wonderful group project to succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day - and what a success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your group for making so much progress. This is a pattern I am definitely going to use for one of my charity quilts since I'm going to need something that finishes quickly.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent pattern for this group project!!!!! You folks did GREAT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete