Monday, October 7, 2013

Design Wall Monday 10/7/2013: Table runner progress

Last week I mentioned that I need to make a table runner and placemats for my kitchen, to protect the pretty wood of the new table.
runner layout

No pattern, I'm making this up as I go along. I'm using the quilt-as-you-go, sew-and-flip method, which I've never actually done before, but I can probably figure it out, right?  :-)

I laid out the backing and batting and pin-basted them.  I think the length might be about 60-64" but I didn't measure; the pieces on the wall are longer than that but a lot will be lost in seam allowances. I'll start from the center, and when I run out of back, that's how long the runner will be.  My table is 42 inches and opens to 54" and I want a little hang-down either way.
runner back prepped
 
I added all the pieces to one end. So far so good. I started adding pieces to the other end. Uh-oh, slight problem.  The edges don't align in the center.  
runner in progress, needs alignment fixed

I'm going to have to rip out those five pieces and adjust the placement. I'm going to have to scootch the first pieces in a little more to have the correct overlap at the edges.  I guess whenever you kind of just wing it, you have to expect there might be a little glitch. This isn't too bad, only five little seams to rip.  Hopefully I can make some forward progress on this project this week.

Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday; check out all the creativity over there!

1 comment:

  1. I like your "I can probably figure it out" attitude! Like you I sometimes run into unforeseen problems, but all are either solvable or can be left as a design feature. :-)

    ReplyDelete