Monday, July 18, 2016

Design Wall: Forest Fellows Baby Quilt

Another great-nephew is on the way, due in early October. Last month I planned out a baby quilt in EQ and I ordered these cute Forest Fellows prints (Robert Kaufman).

I was quite surprised at the scale of the large print compared to the EQ rendering. The tree/deer motif is 6-1/2" high, much taller than the EQ image suggests, and the racoon is about 3" high. In the EQ image below, the borders are 8" wide and the deer/tree motif looks like less than 4" high. I revised the block design and kept the piecing simple and large as shown here to feature the fabrics.


Here's what it looks like on my wall. The piping around the center will finish at 1/4". I'll make the borders as wide as possible to miter the corners so the print can face outward on each side. I have enough yardage that I can cut the WOF strips to feature the best parts of the print and/or minimize the number of animals that are cut in half.

I have plenty of fabric and I'm planning to use it for the backing as well. Although the scale of the print is larger than I was expecting, I think it'll work. The theme and colors are perfect for this family.

So that's what I'm working on this week. Linking up with Patchwork Times and Sew Fresh Quilts.

5 comments:

  1. Figuring out printed pattern scale is definitely one of the more challenging aspects of design. It looks like you have adjusted your pattern well for the changes, and I think this is going to be a beautiful way to showcase these fun prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute prints, sweet pattern. It would be nice if all on-line sources showed the scale with a ruler/tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is a great way to showcase this cute fabric. It's going to be a fun baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is going to be so darling! Perfect for a new nephew :)

    And Maple Leaf Star is gorgeous, just stunning. Congratulations on such a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fabric for the baby quilt is so cute. You did well designing a block to showcase it.

    ReplyDelete