Friday, July 12, 2019

WIGSP

My Work in Glacially Slow Progress is actually progressing! I completed another long row seam.

This is a hand piecing project started in 2007. Members of CSQ Piecing Group have been helping me make this. I've handed out parts multiple times for them to work on, and now it's at the point where I have only two main seams and the bottom border left.

When finished it will be 90 x 90". Here it's shown on my design wall, extended around the corner to the closet and hanging almost to the floor.

All of the fabrics are batiks, including the black.

Every piece was individually cut and marked for hand piecing. Every stitch is hand-sewn (not EPP). Even the long row seams are hand sewn, which is very slow going because of matching all those seam intersections. It's a good thing batiks don't ravel much. With a more ravelly fabric, this project would have long since disintegrated!

Pressing is tedious. I've been spinning the seams as much as possible to reduce the bulk, but still there is a lot of bulk at the intersections.

When it's finished this quilt will be named "How Many?" and I'll print the stats on the label. I've kept records of the number of fabrics used, the number of pieces, the number and names of friends who've helped, and how long it's been in the works.

Is this my oldest UFO? You could say so, but I prefer to think of it as a WIP because it's had continual progress over the years. Hence, Work in Glacially Slow Progress.

Special thanks to all the Piecing Group members who have helped me with this project.


Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Wendy's Quilts and More

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Just wow!! That is incredible!! love the name too ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, this is such a labor of love. When you finish it (and one fine day you will) it will be a masterpiece!!! Kudos for keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You named it so much better than regular WIP ;)) Pretty quilt, there are a lot of pieces in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad that it's taken 2 years. I've decided that 2 years is the average for my best quilts. Some are quicker, but the very best ones take about 2 years. This is going to be lovely. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely full of "WOW" factor! Congrats on all the progress. That is one gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete