Wednesday, July 31, 2019

QOV Presentation

Remember the Snake QOV some friends and I made together? We finally had an opportunity to present it to our veteran.

Meet Don H. Don is a very young and energetic 86 year old who served in the Navy in pre-Castro Cuba as a gunnery photographer. Don is my sister-in-law's father-in-law.

Every summer my husband and I host a party for the extended family. Our house isn't big enough to accommodate everyone indoors, so we plan an outdoor gathering. This year it was the Third Annual Great Water Balloon and Splash Party. It was the perfect opportunity to present the QOV to Don and he was totally surprised.

My friends who made the quilt came to present the QOV to Don and stayed for barbecue and dessert. It worked out very well. The older folks were eating indoors when my friends arrived, so we presented Don his quilt and explained what it was all about and thanked him for his service. He commented that no one would have thought to thank a veteran for their service back in his day because everyone served in the military; it was expected that everyone served.

Since we did the presentation indoors, not everyone got to see, so Don and his wife Doris showed off the quilt outside to their kids and grandkids.

Don and Doris have been married for 62 years. I hope I'm as vibrant and energetic as they are when I'm their age!!!

Here are a few more pics from the party:

Don, his SIL Marilyn, and his two granddaughters, among others

Water balloons

playing on the Blobster

Triple Trouble: 4-1/2 year old cousins
(the one on the left is my GS)

6 of Don's great 8 grandkids plus my GS
(one family with two more boys was out of town)

A good time was had by all. It was a very fun party; Don was surprised, the timing for the presentation worked out well, the kids had a blast and wore themselves out, and we all enjoyed the afternoon.




2 comments:

  1. Oh that is SO SO SO Awesome!!! I love it!! and I bet he had some stories!! What a history!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun way to celebrate the summer and acknowledge Don's service. Hopefully you (and the yard) have all recovered from the festivities.

    ReplyDelete