Friday, May 20, 2022

Bolt of Lightning Donation Quilt Finish

Quilted, bound, labeled, and finished. This quilt will go to the local family services agency. At 46 x 59", this will be a good throw size for a kid or a teen. 

I enjoyed playing with all the black and white prints - thanks, Julie! - and setting the bold colors against them. The piecing was super easy, just half square triangles. There are so many possible layouts with HSTs but this one kind is of fun, more modern.

The bright sunlit photos make the quilting look wrinkly, but it looks much better in real life. I chose stippling for the B+W prints because it wouldn't show anyway. And straight lines for the lightning bolts because that's what the quilt told me it needed. Lots of wrangling using my domestic machine, but worth it for the result. 

I'm really glad I have an outlet locally for donation quilts and that they truly appreciate having them for their clients. I want to keep making quilts but I don't need any more, and my family members don't need any more, so I'll continue making donation quilts for awhile. 


Link ups: Alycia Quilts, Wendy's Quilts and More, TGIFF, My Quilt Infatuation

4 comments:

  1. It turned out great, Jan. You are right that HSTs can be so versatile and fun. I like how the straight lines in the lightning bolts give them continuity, and I probably would have opted to stipple the black and white prints, too. Sounds like you are well connected with organizations that are going to appreciate you and your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan! This is a lovely donation quilt. Someone will just adore the bright colors balanced by the black and white background. I know what you mean about wrangling the quilt about for those straight lines, but it is SO worth it. How nice to have a local donation site. Thanks so much for linking up with TGIFF today. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific finish - I find myself making more donation quilts these days as well. We are full up for our own use aside from a few special projects I want to make and I know how much joy and comfort quilts give to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see kids LOVING this one!! Some cool teenager!!! Beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete