Friday, May 27, 2022

Friday Finish: Blue Color Bars

 The PCQ Charity Committee held their May sew day last Saturday and it was mostly a catch-up day to work on kits we had started in March and April. For those who hadn't started one earlier, there were still kits available for anyone who wanted to start one. In March we made Quilts for Kids and in April we made Color Bars. The patterns we included in the kits are available in the Charity Patterns tab beneath my header above. 

I had worked on a Color Bars kit at the April sew day. Most of the kits were warm neutrals with miscellaneous darks, like the pattern, because that's what we had a lot of in the club's stash. My kit was special. I had cut strips from random pastels with a bit more color in them than the neutral lights. They were mostly leftover binding bits, off-cuts from backings, strips cut from my scraps, and strips cut from small pieces in the club's stash. To ground the pastels I used a dark blue from the charity committee, with permission. I like the combination of pastels with navy. 

The flimsy was finished at social sewing a few weeks ago, and I quilted it on the club's long arm the last time I had time booked on the machine. At the May sew day last weekend I got the quilt bound and labeled. Friends at the sew day helped me take pictures: 



This quilt is large enough for an adult throw, 60 x 80", the size preferred by the hospice we support. The colors are soothing. There's actually a lot more color than shows in these bright sunny photos, as you can see in these blocks: 

The Blue Color Bars quilt is finished, labeled, and will be delivered to Hospice the next time we make a delivery. 

We had a good turnout at the sew day and I know there are several more Color Bars and a few Quilts for Kids projects that are progressing nicely. 


7 comments:

  1. That is a VERY pretty hospice quilt. Love the design - I think I will use that for some of mine going forward. (quiltdivajulie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt turned out beautiful with the blues and the light fabric. So nice that your group does charity quilts. Our quilting guild here in Murray, KY, also does charity quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt. Love the blues and light color fabrics. Nice that it is a charity quilt. Our guild here in Kentucky also does lots of charity quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great pattern for a donation quilt, it looks wonderful. And I like the two colour combo rather than multi colour stripes. Did you cut your strips 2 1/2 inches?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I thought was blue and white at first; the light colors are a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a striking quilt! The blue was a great choice as a strong contrast with the variety of low volume fabrics. Thank you for linking up with me for TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out awesome!!! and it will definitely bring a smile!!!

    ReplyDelete