Monday, May 9, 2022

Charley Harper Pillows, Part 1

My favorite find from the AQS show in Paducah is these Charley Harper prints. When I showed  them to my husband, he just had to grin. Those quail are too cute! 


We have quail in our yard frequently, although I haven't seen any babies. They're fun to watch; they're so goofy how they run everywhere, rarely fly. They walk in a row along the top of our wall in the back yard and it looks like a cartoon shooting gallery.  I've also seen road runners a couple of times since we've lived here, but they're fewer and far between and much harder to spot.

My plan is to use these fabrics for pillows for our family room. The old pillows are looking a little worn, so we need a refresh. I found a sage fabric in Paducah that coordinates with our decor that I'll use for pillow backs, and I'll use these prints for the fronts. In my bag of batting off-cuts there were some pieces that I can trim to size. The pillows will be 18" finished. 


In order to feature the prints, and in keeping with the Charley Harper aesthetic, the quilting has to be simple and linear. Straight lines for the quail, and careful outlining for the road runner. An afternoon with my walking foot accomplished the job.


Next I'll quilt up the sage for both pillow backs. Sometime soon I'll get to the store to buy zippers and pillow forms, and soon we'll have new pillows. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm in north Texas just outside suburbia. We had some Bobwhite quail one summer and two managed to make babies not long before they all disappeared... too many predators and not enough food sources and/or hiding places for them. My guess is that someone hatched some eggs and released them that year. And we've seen only one roadrunner along a country road. It was representing its name, running along, before spreading its wings to glide across the ditch then running into the subsequent cover. That short "flight" was somehow exhilarating to witness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quail babies are the cutest little puffballs (and also ate the green sprouts of our carrots out of our garden one year, a worthy trade we decided). They are definitely entertaining birds with their preference for walking over flying. Those pillows are going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Charley Harper! (Quiltdivajulie)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Charlie Harper designs. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete