Friday, May 6, 2022

The Blue Quilt from Carla's Scraps

Back in December I wrote about Carla's Box. She was destashing and gave me a big box of fabrics and told me to use what I can and give the rest to PCQ. Among the goodies in the box was a baggie of mostly blue scraps. So not my usual colors, but so pretty. 


I knew there wasn't enough here for a quilt so I'd have to add more, but I was intrigued by the design possibility here. I was envisioning a row quilt. With some added fabrics from my  own stash and some purchased navy solid, I ended up with this flimsy:

And now it's quilted, bound, labeled and finished. I used PCQ's long arm to quilt slanted loops in the pieced rows, and my domestic machine to SID in all the horizontal seams and around the border. 

Several years ago in St. Louis one of my Modern Guild friends gave me some yardage that wasn't her taste and said to use it for backing for a Quilt of Valor. Well, it's a floral print, too feminine, so it hadn't been used for a QOV yet. Her intent was that it be used in a comfort quilt, so I think using it here is appropriate. It's the perfect backing for this quilt. 

Carla says this is the fourth quilt made with this group of fabrics; she previously made three before passing along the scraps. This quilt will go to the hospice PCQ supports. It looks very soothing, and I don't think the recipient and their family would ever guess that this quilt started from leftovers. It came out about 56" by 66" for a nice throw size.


Thank you, Carla, for the scraps and the inspiration. And thanks, Marie, for the backing. Once again, it takes a village to make a quilt. 

Linking up with Alycia Quilts and TGIFF

No comments:

Post a Comment