Monday, January 31, 2022

The Third PCQ Charity Quilt

 Sample #3 is in the block construction process. Like the ones shown in my previous post (scroll down), it uses strips that we can die cut from the club's very random stash and kit up.  Some of the strips in the previous quilts were cut 2-1/2" by 10-1/2". Usually we can get four pieces from a WOF strip, but sometimes only three, leaving a too-short piece that I hate to waste. 

This quilt uses 2-1/2" by 6-1/2" pieces so we can take advantage of those leftover strips, or we can cut 6 pieces from a WOF strip. 


Having drafted this pattern in EQ8, I learned that it looks more pleasing in analogous color palettes or related palettes such as Patriotic or Autumnal. I chose blue, turquoise, and cool green for my palette. 

Since I depleted most of my 2-1/2" strips when I made the Color Bars quilt (post below), for this quilt I mostly cut from stash and from a few scraps. My stash skews mostly geometric with a lot of blenders, but there are a couple of floral scraps in the mix. It takes a lot of pieces to make the 48-block adult size version of this quilt. Since I wanted variety I used only one WOF strip of each print, which meant cutting manually rather than die cutting. 


For ease of piecing, I paired up fabrics and chain pieced them in pairs. Pairs together and one more strip added, and this is how far along I am with sewing blocks. 


You can't see in the photo, but there are two different white fabrics there because I didn't have enough of either of them. One is actually a tone-on-tone, but the cast is the same creamy white as the solid so I think the two fabrics will work together. About 1/3 of the blocks will have the tone-on-tone fabric, and they'll be scattered throughout. Let's call it a design decision, okay? 

I need to finish this sample and the fourth one, still in the draft stage, by early March so the committee can plan our prep days and sew days. The focus will be: March - kid quilts; April - jelly roll quilts; and May - quilts for older boys. Looks like I'll be busy for awhile! 


Link ups: 
Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh Quilt


3 comments:

  1. Love this one!! I have made several like it - but your colorsways are much prettier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are offering a free PDF of this one too (for charity sewing), I would love to get a copy. My email is catholicreader@gmail.com . May I share charity patterns with my guild's charity sewing group? Or should I direct them to your blog posts? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike you, I have a tons of floral fabrics and this gives me an idea of a way to use them for some Hands2Help donation quilts.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete